Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#BostonStrong

Hey y'all!

It's been a hectic few days between classes and withdrawal symptoms of caffeine - yes I am giving up caffeine and it's been a long few days. 

My students are now finishing up Romeo and Juliet.  I think they're so estatic they're nearly done with the play, but secretly, I think I'm a little more estatic than they are!  It's just gruelsome getting through Shakespeare, and hearing them groan and complain about having to read and figure out the language does not help me.  I've tried to keep it fun and light, but it is time to move on... I'm at my 3 week cap limit!  Next is Of Mice and Men.  They are going to love that book so much more. 

I am so grateful to know that Boston and the rest of the country is having a calm week after last week.  While I currently live in NC, I am originally from CT, attended college in RI, a mere 1.5 hour from Boston.  The Boston Police did a fantastic job apprehending the suspects!  Keep in mind those lives who are forever altered and those who did not make it through the ordeal.  We stand united with Boston -- #BostonStrong!

My students were glued to the CNN Student News each day to find out updates.  They certainly asked questions about Boston, if I knew anyone there (I did, but thankfully, none were injured or near the explosion at the time it occurred). The one thing that flabbergasted me of all... they were not familiar with the Boston Red Sox... personally, I'm a Yankee Fan, but the majority of my family are Red Sox fans.  I still remember the day the Red Sox won the world series in 2004.  I spoke to my class about it, because even though I am a Yankee fan, I had to celebrate the fact they finally won after 81 years.  They just looked at me like"ok?" Tough crowd!

How did your students react with the Boston Marathon explosion?  The capturing of the suspects?  How did you deal with it?

Ms. Bergin



No comments:

Post a Comment